At work we’re changing our anti-virus protection over from the McAffee VSE 8.5i with EPO framework out and moving to ESET’s nod32. While the majority of machines are fine if you just remove the program using add/remove programs, then follow up with the McAffeeCleanupTool.exe, although many machines (especially Vista based) are having difficulty removing the EPO client.
The manual removal instructions as found in McAffee KB article #55208 are as follows:
Full manual removal procedure for CMA 3.6.x
CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
* The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
* Before proceeding, McAfee strongly recommends backing up your registry and understanding the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
* Do not run a .REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.
Step 1 – Disable the McAfee Framework Service via the Windows registry
1. Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
2. Navigate to and select the following key:
3. In the right pane, double-click the Start string and change the Value data to 4.
4. Restart the system.
Step 2 – End all running CMA processes:
1. Click Start, run, type taskmgr, and click OK.
2. Click the Processes tab.
3. Select each of the processes below and click End Process. Click Yes when prompted to confirm:
4. Close the Task Manager.
Step 3 – Registry edits:
1. Click Start, Run, type regedit, and click OK.
2. Navigate to and expand the following key:
3. Right-click the McAfeeFramework sub-key and select Delete.
4. Delete any entries for the McAfeeFramework sub-key under each of the following registry keys:
5. Navigate to and select the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\Framework]
6. Make note of the Installed Path and the Data Path values.
7. In Windows Explorer, delete the folders mentioned in the above registry values.
8. Navigate to and expand the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components]
9. Right-click the Framework sub-key and select Delete.
10. Navigate to the following key:
11. Right-click the McTray key and select Delete.
12. Restart the system.